The issues dealt with in the Justice System

When couples separate, arrangements have to be made for the future about homes, money and children. Couples can work out arrangements for themselves, with or without professional help from a lawyer or a mediator, or may need to go to court.

When a local authority is concerned to protect children it can apply to the court for orders about the child’s care. Local authorities only do this if they think a court order is necessary.

This section covers guidance on when to go to court, how the court deals with issues such as divorce, domestic violence and children, and information on the law about these issues.

  • Using the courts
  • Divorce and dissolution
  • Domestic violence
  • Children and their parents
  • Child protection